Subscriber Only | The Sounds Of EMS | CD Album | Sold Out
Out of stock
The Sounds Of EMS
The cover feature of Electronic Sound Issue 56 tells the story of EMS, the legendary UK synthesiser company launched by Peter Zinovieff, Tristram Cary and David Cockerell in 1969. And we have a great audio accompaniment in ‘The Sounds Of EMS’, a 45-minute CD of music made either by the people responsible for EMS or by the machines they built. You can almost smell the dust burning as the old circuits start warming up!
The CD has two pieces by Zinovieff and another from Cary, the latter with a spoken explanation of what he wanted to achieve with the piece. There is also material by David Vorhaus, who founded the cult electronic group White Noise with Delia Derbyshire, and Mike Hankinson, another early adopter of the VCS 3. Tracks by Benge from Wrangler and Jack Dangers from Meat Beat Manifesto complete this fascinating collection.
The full track listing is:
01. PETER ZINOVIEFF – ‘A LOLLIPOP FOR PAPA’
02. TRISTRAM CARY – ‘ 3, 4, 5 – A STUDY IN LIMITED RESOURCES’
03. BENGE – ‘1969 EMS VCS3’
04. DAVID VORHAUS – ‘THING FOR TWO VCS3S’
05. JACK DANGERS @ TAPE LAB – ‘SYNTHI 100-PIECE 1’
06. MIKE HANKINSON – ‘JS BACH’S FUGUE AND TOCCATA IN D MINOR’
07. PETER ZINOVIEFF – ‘JANUARY TENSIONS’ (EXCERPT)
08. TRISTRAM CARY – ‘3, 4 , 5 – A STUDY IN LIMITED RESOURCES’ (TALK)